Town Council meetings
SWAFFHAM TOWN COUNCIL COMMITTEE STRUCTURE - DELEGATED AUTHORITY
Terms of Reference to Committees
The Town Council Committee Structure was agreed on 22nd July 2019: -
- The Full Council shall meet on the second Wednesday of each month to discuss their normal business and receive any reports from Committees. The Annual Town Assembly takes place in April and the Annual meeting of the Town Council in May each year.
- REPRESENTATIVES OF OUTSIDE BODIES shall report to the Council on a monthly basis (as per Committee Structure chart for full list)
- The meeting cycle shall be published at the start of each calendar year, should there be a need to change the dates for any reason to deal with urgent business or cancellation due to a lack of business, or being inquorate, notification will be sent via the Town Hall office.
- he Town Clerk (or designated Lead Officer) shall liaise regularly as appropriate with the Chair and/or Vice Chair of each Committee as deemed necessary, for the smooth running of meetings and/or preparation of agenda.
- Terms of reference of each Committee are a guide to Members of their overall responsibility in order to avoid duplication between Committees.
- Each Committee shall have its specified number of members as per the terms of reference. Substitute Town Councillor members shall be allowed for each Committee (i.e. any Councillor not on the Committee), to ensure that meetings can be quorate. Substitutes can be selected/notified by the apologising Councillor, or the Town Hall office, if notification of a substitute has not been received/confirmed.
- Apologies for absence shall only be recorded if received by the Town Clerk or Deputy Clerk 24 hours prior to the meeting (with reasons for absence), to allow a substitute to be used, or in the event of unforeseen circumstances i.e. emergency, illness, family bereavement etc.
- All Standing Orders & Financial Regulations Apply to all Committees, Quorum (as per Standing Orders below):
- (A councillor or a non-councillor with voting rights who has a disclosable pecuniary interest or another interest as set out in the council’s code of conduct in a matter being considered at a meeting is subject to statutory limitations or restrictions under the code on his right to participate and vote on that matter.
- No business may be transacted at a meeting unless at least one-third of the whole number of members of the council are present and in no case shall the quorum of a meeting be less than three.
- See standing order 4d(viii) below for the quorum of a committee or sub-committee meeting.
- If a meeting is or becomes inquorate no business shall be transacted and the meeting shall be closed. The business on the agenda for the meeting shall be adjourned to another meeting.
- A meeting shall not exceed a period of (2) hours (excluding the public participation of 15 minutes).
- 4.d (viii) The Council shall determine the place, notice requirements and quorum for a meeting of a committee and a sub-committee which shall be no less than three Councillors;