Swaffham Town Council
Following the 2018 inaugural Sheep Fair plans are underway for the 2nd year and we hope it will be an event that continues to grow in popularity bringing the community together and encouraging visitors to Swaffham.
- A road closure – along the west side from the mini roundabout to Swaffham Café
- Woolly Roadshow – all things sheep from the Rare Breed Survival Trust
- Craft & demonstrations stalls – from the Mid Norfolk & also the Worstead spinners, weavers and dyers
- Food and refreshments stalls – bespoke cheesecakes, lamb burgers and BBQ Mutton roast
- Craft stalls – Lindy Lovegrove glassware, Kracklewick candles and room fragrances
- Children’s activities – face painting fairground rides, farmyard animal characters, funfair rides
- Heygates tractor
Oh, and let’s not forget there will be sheep!!
We have sheep coming from 4 different farms across Norfolk including:
- Melsop Farm – rare breed sheep……they will also be doing a charity auction in the afternoon (around 2pm)
- Oakes Pedigree – sheep and lambs, shearing demonstration and hot lamb burgers
- Ash Tree Flock– showing their Leicester Longwool sheep, as well as wool, rugs, fleeces, peg looms etc
- Johnstones Blues and Commercials – showing their pedigree Blue Texel sheep.
There will be lots of opportunities to get to know more about these very different breeds over the day.
Best Dressed Shop Window Competition
There is a best dressed shop window competition – anything sheep related.
Winner will be the ‘most attractive and creative display’ to be judged by the Mayor of Swaffham on the day.
Sheep Themed menus
Local businesses are also asked to get involved - there will be some sheep themed food items on menus.
Iceni Partnership are running a ‘sheep trail’, this will continue through the school holidays with prizes at the end.
Park & Ride
Available between the town (bus stop outside Sues News) and the Swaffham Raceway. At the Raceway there is the weekly Poultry Market & auction at 11.30a.m and a Car Boot sale.
All this alongside the usual Saturday market - 25+ regular traders stalls selling everything from fruit & veg to plants to socks to car & cycle accessories.